Use this information to make sure you can connect with basic cable television service, which is provided throughout JWU's Charlotte campus in all classrooms, lounges, common areas and res hall bedrooms/living rooms.
- Connect your TV directly to the wall plate in your room using a coaxial cable
- In your TV Menu, select “Auto-Tuning” to find the new digital channels. It should search for “DTV” cable (Digital TV) in your menu.
- Confirm that your TV has a built-in Clear QAM tuner.
Cable TV service delivers all content in a digital format. It requires:
- A television set with a QAM tuner
- OR, a conversion box tuner capable of receiving a digital clear QAM signal
What equipment do I need to receive cable TV service?
There are several types of digital tuners in the USA. Not all will work with our cable TV service.
If you do not receive all of the channels listed in the channel lineup, check the specifications from your TV manufacturer to determine if it includes the required tuner.
How do I know if my TV has a QAM Tuner?
The following information about television compatibility is an informal reference for newer devices. This information was compiled from several external sources and is not intended to be complete. The University cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.
- Dynex: Only limited models have a QAM tuner
- Element: Do not appear to have QAM Tuners
- Funai: Do not appear to have QAM tuners
- Insignia: Only limited models have a QAM tuner
- LG: Most models since 2007 have a QAM tuner
- Samsung - All models since 2009 have a QAM tuner (fifth digit of model number must be B or a letter beyond B in the alphabet)
- Sony: Most models since 2007 have a QAM tuner
- Sylvania: Do not appear to have QAM tuners
- Toshiba: Most models since 2007 have a QAM tuner
- Vizio: Recent models have a QAM tuner
Which TVs have QAM Tuners?
If your TV does NOT have a QAM tuner, you must purchase an external QAM tuner conversion box.
The box conversion box MUST be compatible. NTSC and ATSC conversion boxes are NOT compatible.
If you need an external tuner box, the iView-3500STBII has a compatible QAM tuner that has been tested with the campus cable TV system. Once programmed, it will receive all channels provided. You can buy it from multiple sources, including:
What do I buy if my TV does not have a QAM tuner?
Follow these steps if you have issues with your cable service at JWU's Charlotte Campus:
1. Call Spectrum toll free: 866-693-1528 (9am-9pm Monday- Friday).
2. A live agent will answer the call. Inform the agent that you are calling from Johnson & Wales University.
- Cedar Hall North: 725 W 4th St. Charlotte, NC 28202
- Cedar Hall South: 215 S Cedar St. Charlotte, NC 28202
- City View Towers: 425 W 5th St. Charlotte, NC 28202
3. The agent will ask you for an address that is associated with your account, and the reason for the call. Provide your residence hall building, street name and your room or apartment number:
4. If you have an issue with the video service, be prepared with the TV’s model number or date of manufacture. The date is usually located on the rear of the television.